Clifton's Story

Text size

Clifton C. Cleere, 91, passed from this earth to his heavenly reward on June 15, 2017.
He was born to Kenneth C. Cleere and Elizabeth Rhodes Cleere on March 2, 1926 in Hunt County, Texas. He married the love of his life, Robbie Horton on October 15, 1953. They lived in Terrell, Texas and Garland, Texas for most of their married lives, and have lived in Huntsville, Texas for the past nine years. They had been married 63 years, eight months at the time of his death.
He is preceded in death by his parents; and brothers, Odis Cleere and Otho Cleere. He is survived by his son, Wayne Cleere and wife, Margie of Richardson, Texas; Ron Cleere and wife, Kathy of Huntsville, Texas; special daughter, Fumiko Kokubun Ray and husband, Steve of Kawasaki, Japan. He is also survived by seven grandsons and one granddaughter; Jared Cleere and wife, Jerilyn of College Station, Texas; Jason Cleere and wife, Dana of Angleton, Texas; Casey and Colin Cleere of Dallas, Texas; Chris Cleere and wife, Jennifer of Huntsville, Texas; and Nathan, Matthew, Abbie, and Anthony Cleere of Forney, Texas. Two great-grandchildren; Fiona Cleere of College Station, Texas; and Wesley Cleere, of Angleton, Texas, also survive him. In addition, he is survived by three sisters and one brother-in-law; Corine Davis of Lufkin, Texas; Lorine Ellis of Terrell, Texas; and Mary Johnson and husband Doug of Stephenville, Texas. He had many nieces, nephews, other family members, and friends who loved him.
Clifton grew up the third of six children on a cotton farm during the Great Depression. He graduated from Terrell High School in 1944, and after working the farm the rest of that summer and autumn, he joined the U. S. Army. He was sent to the European theatre after basic training, fortunately, as the war was winding down. Because of his size (over six feet tall), he was selected to play in an exhibition football league with the Army, and was able to travel throughout post-war Europe playing ball.
After his discharge from the Army as a Technical Sergeant in the Signal Corps, Clifton attended college for a time while deciding on a career. He went to work as a letter carrier for the United States Postal Service, a job he thoroughly enjoyed, and retired in 1983 after 35 years. During the latter years of his postal career, he began a landscape maintenance service, where he worked diligently until being diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease at the age of 77. He loved his customers and took pride in a job well done, passing his strong work ethic on to both of his sons. He had a "green thumb" and enjoyed working in his garden and flowerbeds through the years.
His relationship with Jesus Christ was extremely important to him. He spent many hours daily in prayer, and his Bible was well worn from daily use. He genuinely cared for people and exemplified his relationship with the Lord in the way that he loved and served others.
The family would like to express their appreciation to the staff of The Lexington Center assisted living facility for their attentive care during the past four years.
Clifton very unselfishly donated his body for medical research. A memorial/celebration of life service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 1, 2017 at University Heights Baptist Church, with Dr. Richard Rogers officiating.
Memorials may be made in his memory to the Parkinson's Disease Foundation.
Published on June 16, 2017
Send flowers
in memory of Clifton
See more

Obituary published in

Arrangements by


Share this story with a friend.